I get requests to write a guest blog or advertise in some way on The Blogging Dentist quite often. Since this blog is purely for my own amusement, I haven’t really considered this in the past. But now I’m thinking about it.
Why would someone want to use “The Blogging Dentist” to promote their product or idea? I’m not exactly sure. I’m quite certain that my readers are overwhelmingly dental types, so maybe they think that by reaching the people who read this blog they’d be getting their message out a well selected audience. Maybe they figure that it’s a super cheap and low risk way to connect with said “dental types.” They’re probably right on both counts. My promise to my readers is this: I won’t allow cheesy and hollow sales pitches on The Blogging Dentist.
Since I’m the king of this castle, I’m going to lay out my rules.
- Ideally, you’re a dentist or dental business that has an idea or product that you think should be shared and talked about. Hopefully you aren’t selling insurance or Amway.
- As mentioned, I will allow no “sales pitches.” Blogs are about spreading ideas. That’s what I try to do here. I spread ideas that I’ve had and that I’ve heard about. I can’t stand the bald sales pitch. I understand that it is sometimes necessary, but I rarely react well to it. I need to be romanced. Give me some clever copy. Explain what the problem is and how you fix it. Link to your website if you like, but keep it classy. I don’t endorse products, but I might let you discuss a novel way of doing things that involve a product. It’s about the ideas, not products.
- You may not bad mouth your competition on the Blogging Dentist. I’m going to buy a Ford because I think the Ford is a great fit. Not because the Ford sales guy thinks that Dodges suck.
- I reserve the right to edit your copy. I won’t put words in your mouth, but I might change your syntax. Sorry…it’s a curse.
- Amuse me. This is the most important rule. If I think it’s funny, I’m more likely to share it.
- If you have a blog about your ideas or products I’m MUCH more likely to allow you a guest spot. I would enjoy having other bloggers come on board. As long as you’re O.K. with following the above rules.
What won’t fly:
- If you’re the web guy for some dentist’s website and you send me a generic blog post about the top 10 most cavity causing foods that you didn’t write and you put your client’s name in the byline even though they didn’t write it either…I’m not going to put it up. No chance. If I even think that the copy is written by someone other than who claims to have written it I won’t put it up.
- If you have a product you’d like dentists to know about but you’re only willing to share canned content I’m not going to let you guest blog.
- Buying ad space. At this point you can’t buy space at the Blogging Dentist. But if you have an interesting idea that you want to share in an amusing and engaging way…I’m happy to help!
If you’re interested on guest blogging about your product, service or idea feel free to email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to discuss it with you…as long as you’re willing to follow my rules!
I’m getting more and more of these requests, too. The vast majority of them, I suspect, are canned articles from SEOs who are trying to build links to their clients’ sites.
A lot of them are geared towards consumers rather than dentists. Dentists are the target market of my blog.
The rest are purely self-promotional. So, in the end…. I’ve not seen a single pitch that interested me.
I may eventually consider ad space. But, for now… it’s a one-man show…. me. Like you, I write for my own amusement and the hope that I may help a dentist here or there.
Congratulations on getting success like this!
Haha, even this post was amusing. Nice!
huhhhh!so much rules & regulations..I am a doctor and blogger also but i didn’t set any strict rules.
Good for you Dr. Sidharth! What I found was that a lot of people wanting to guest blog had a different agenda than I do. So I wanted to let them know what’s O.K. for me and what’s not. To each their own!
I have read so many articles regarding the blogger lovers but this article is in fact a nice article,
keep it up.
Im excited to read your next blog post.
hahaha I enjoyed reading this; I like how you put that funny spin on article. It seriously makes them so much more entertaining!! Keep them coming.
I love the rules you put. It makes any blog post stick to being educational. I would like to be a guest blogger and speak about Hybrid Dentures. You can see my stance here http://www.progressivedental-ellenlimdds.com/hybrid-dentures-and-overdentures/. Of course you would also be a guest on my blog as well. Thanks
Very amusing! I’m looking forward to reading your next blog post!
We really do enjoy your blog at the Smile Care Dental Centre. It’s nice to hear another dentist’s point of view.
It’s great that you’re putting the rules out front and center for guest bloggers. Nothing is worse than reading a blog that feels like it’s “canned”.
When you teach people correct principles, in theory they should be able to govern themselves. Unfortunately, there are people, marketers who are all trying to get ahead, I like how you spelled everything out takes out spammers, bots, spinning articles and the likes of bad marketing.
HA ! HA ! HA ! Thank you for good post.
Thanks for the useful post
Excellent dental blog with unique writing skills that makes reading enjoyable! Thank you to Al for providing this blog to help other dentists blog.